Our Privacy Mission Statement:
"At ASDA, we value the trust placed in us by customers, suppliers and colleagues who give us their Personal Information. Data security is one of our highest priorities and we aim to be as clear as possible about what we do with Personal Information and why we do it."
Our Privacy Statement for ASDA websites
Your Privacy is really important to us, and we understand how important it is to you.
Our aim is to be as clear and open as possible about what we do and why we do it. ASDA is committed to the online Privacy of all its users.
This ASDA website is run by the ASDA group of companies and its partners ("we", "us", "our")
Information we collect
You can have a look through the site without giving us any of your Personal Information.
If you decide to apply for a position through the site or an agency, Asda will need to collect and process your Personal Information, including:
- Name, address and postcode - We need this to send you all of the recruitment information.
- E-mail address - We send a confirmation of your application by email. We may use e-mail or telephone to speak to you about similar vacancies unless you have asked us not to. We may also contact you by e-mail if you have only partially completed an application. But don’t worry. We won’t fill up your inbox with boring emails.
- Contact telephone numbers - If there are any problems with your application, or we have to clarify anything with you, we need to be able to contact you quickly. Again, we certainly won’t call you for any other reason.
- User name and password - This is to keep your Personal Information secure, and so you can come back to an incomplete application at a later date.
- Your application – Well, we definitely need this so we can assess you. Such Personal Information will include details of your skills (including education, professional qualifications and training), employment history and referees. You should only provide the Personal Information required by our application template. This template includes a question about any adjustments that may be required should you be invited for an interview or assessment.
- Disability Information – Any information you provide about a disability is considered Highly Sensitive. By providing such Personal Information, you agree to allow us to use it for the purposes of making any necessary adjustments if you’re invited for interview/assessment, and for monitoring purposes.
- Criminal records checks – For some roles, we might need to enquire about previous criminal convictions or carry out criminal records checks. If this is necessary, we’ll make you aware of this as early in the recruitment process as possible.
- Other Personal Information specified during the online application process that is relevant to recruitment.
If you’re application is successful, we’ll need a few other things before you start. This includes your National Insurance number (and any other proof of your right to work in the UK, for example visa or working permits), bank details, date of birth, next of kin, and driving licence (if applicable).
How we use the information we collect
The Personal Information you provide will be used to:
- Process your application.
- Consider you for the position you have applied for, and any upcoming vacancies that are suitable (unless you have opted not to be contacted in respect of subsequent vacancies).
- Fulfil Asda's legal obligations.
- Carry out internal record keeping.
- Provide general information (which does not identify individuals) and statistics to help Asda develop its websites and services.
- Make up part of your personnel records if your application is successful. However, this will only be for as long as it’s relevant to your employment at Asda.
- Approach your nominated referees for the purposes of obtaining references.
- Carry out equal opportunities monitoring (see below).
Where you provide Personal Information about somebody else, like your referees, you should always ask them beforehand to get their consent.
IP addresses - when you visit our site, we will automatically receive your IP address, a unique identifier for your computer or other access device.
Equal opportunities - We’re required by law to make basic documentation checks on every candidate. Please note that we’ll ask you to provide documentation of your eligibility to work in the UK if you’re invited to attend the next stage of the recruitment process with us. Other Personal Information, for example, relating to your gender, race or ethnic origin, religion or belief, age bracket, details of any disability and sexual orientation is requested for the purpose of monitoring the effectiveness of our Equal Opportunities policy. This Personal Information is requested purely for monitoring purposes.
Our sites use a number of different cookies. Below we explain the cookies we use and why we use them.
What is a cookie?
Cookies we use and why we use them
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small text file that may be placed on your device when you visit our sites. When you next visit our sites the cookie allows us to distinguish you from other users.
There are two broad categories of cookies:
- Persistent cookies
Persistent cookies remain on your device until deleted manually or automatically.
- Session cookies
Session cookies remain on your device until you close your browser when they are automatically deleted.
Cookies we use and why we use them
- Essential cookies
Essential cookies are technical cookies that are required for the operation of our sites. Without essential cookies our sites can’t operate properly. Essential cookies include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas.
- Performance cookies
Performance cookies allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors to our sites and to see how visitors move around them. This helps us to improve the way our sites work by enabling us to tailor our sites to the way visitors use them. The information we collect from performance cookies is aggregated which means that we cannot identify you from it.
- Experience cookies
Experience cookies allow our sites to remember the choices you make. Our sites use experience cookies to provide you with enhanced and personalised features. For example, we use information collected through what are known as “web-analytic” cookies to compare the choices you make to those of our other customers so that we can learn from those choices.
Information collected by experience cookies cannot track your browsing activity when you leave our sites to browse other sites.
- Marketing cookies
Marketing cookies record your visits to our sites, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We use this information to make our sites and the advertising displayed on them more relevant to your interests. For example sometimes we use marketing cookies to limit the number of times that you see an advert. Sometimes we share information about your browsing activity, (which we have collected from cookies), with our advertising partners. They may use this information to advertise products, which may interest you, on other sites.
Who we share the information With
We will not sell your personal information to third parties other than our subsidiaries, affiliates or parent companies unless you say we can (for example for carefully selected third parties to contact you) or are required by law.
International transfers - in order to carry out the steps set out above we may send your personal information outside of the European Economic Area and, if necessary, across international borders. The data protection laws in these countries may not be as comprehensive as in the European Economic Area. However, we have taken appropriate steps to make sure the same level of protection for the processing carried out in these countries as within the European Economic Area. Any details you provide may be electronically sent to the US to our parent company Wal-Mart Stores Inc., which helps us in running our websites. However, any such information will be dealt with in accordance with the UK's Data Protection Act.
Storage of data - We will not store your personal information for any longer than we need to, however we may be obliged by law to store your communications and personal information including activity logs and we may need to show details of these to government or authorised officials upon request. Like many websites, we use log files to monitor the effectiveness of our online marketing programmes.
You have a right to access the personal information that is held about you. To obtain a copy of the personal information ASDA holds about you, please write to us at the following address enclosing your postal details and a cheque for £10, which we are entitled by law to charge, payable to ASDA Stores Limited:
Data Protection Officer,
ASDA Stores Limited,
Great Wilson Street,
Leeds, LS11 5AD
Security - at ASDA, information security is very important and we have taken many steps to make sure your shopping experience with us is secure. Information about you will be kept safe and secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure of your information, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to protect and secure information that is collected online.
Keeping your information secure - to help us keep your information confidential you should:
- Keep your password secret.
- Never distribute the website addresses for pages that you have looked at while logged in as a registered customer.
Password - you should choose a password that is not obvious or known to anyone else. You should never give a third party your password, as you will be responsible for all activity and charges incurred through use of your password whether authorised by you or not.
If you forget your password, you can request a new password, which will be emailed to the address we hold for you. You can change your password anytime through the account facilities on the website. Should we think that there is likely to be, or has been any breach of security, we may change your password and notify you of the change by email.
Security in our offices - access to your information is restricted in our stores and offices. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job are granted access to personally identifiable information. The servers that store this information are kept in a secure environment.
Notification of changes to this policy
We want to make sure we're giving you the information about privacy and security that you want - let us know what you think. If you have any feedback, questions or concerns, please email us at email@example.com.
ASDA group of companies:
Asda Stores Limited
Great Wilson Street
Registered in England & Wales, company No. 00464777
ICO registration no: Z7545987
FCA No. 407914
VAT No. GB 362 0127 92
Asda Financial Services Limited
Asda House Southbank
Great Wilson Street
Registered in England & Wales, company No. 04562707
ICO registration no: Z1392501
FCA No. 230174